Monday, June 1, 2009

That's right you asked

for it! So, I am going to start a blog with all the tasty recipes I make and have shared on Facebook.
Some of you may know I have a pretty restricted diet these days due to my number 2 son's sensitive tummy. While I no longer eat dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, eggs or shellfish, I do still enjoy eating.
I'll start things off with some Tamale Pie leftovers that I just finished for lunch. I modified this recipe from Natalie's Enchiladas. Leave time to let it set in the fridge for an hour or so. I try to make it during "quiet time" at my house and then it's ready to heat up whenever I want to get dinner going.

Tamale Pie
serves 4

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
8 oz cooked chicken (optional)
1 1/2 cups corn
8 oz mexican chorizo, regular or spicy
8 oz uncooked polenta
32 oz water
2 tbsp granulated garlic
salt to taste
1 tsp olive oil
chopped cilantro (optional)
diced avocado (optional)
shredded cheese (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine black beans, tomatoes, chicken (if using) and corn.
Cook chorizo over medium heat until cooked through, drain fat and add to bean mixture.
In medium pot, bring water to a boil and add polenta at once, stirring constantly. The polenta will thicken quickly and start to bubble, pull off the heat and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes. Add granulated garlic and salt.
The consistency of the polenta should be that of slightly thinned oatmeal.
Put the oil in the bottom of a square baking dish 8X8, or whatever size and shape you have.
Pour 1/2 the polenta into the dish and let it set up for a minute or two. Add in the bean mixture slowly so that it doesn't fall through the polenta. Top with the remaining polenta and refrigerate.
Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until you see the filling bubble up along the sides a little bit and serve it up. Then top with avocado, cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, whatever floats your boat.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Just added you to my google reader feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.google.com/reader

    I follow all my blogs here, and don't have to check back in all the time, and I never miss the sporadic updates.

    ReplyDelete