Monday, June 1, 2009

old stand-by











I love roast chicken especially when the weather is crazy like this afternoon - 80 degrees down to 59 in one hour and don't forget to add in unpredictable rain.



Roast Chicken covered in Bacon (oh yeah - I said bacon!)

serves 4ish with leftovers for soup or sandwiches


1 whole roaster or fryer

salt

pepper

6 slices of thick cut bacon

1/2 lemon

4 medium size Yukon gold or other baking potatoes - cut in half

fresh rosemary



While oven is heating to 350 degrees, sprinkle chicken all over, inside and out with salt and pepper. Put lemon inside and layer bacon slices over the top, slightly overlapping to cover the majority of the bird.



Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes. Then add rosemary to pan around chicken and place potatoes cut side down on top of rosemary.


Cook an additional 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165.


You can see, I forgot the rosemary this time. Oh well, I made up for it with extra potatoes. Still tasty.
I served this with a side of grilled eggplant leftover from yesterday.





2 comments:

  1. Do you tie up your chicken before you roast it? And I notice you don't use a rack. Is that so the potatoes can soak up all the juicy yumminess? Looks amazing. I will definitely try this next time a roast a bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't tie up the chicken for this recipe and seems to cook evenly enough. And I rarely use a rack. Even if I don't roast veggies, the juices still seem to run fine without the rack.

    ReplyDelete